Bedford Circuit Court: Marriage License Information
The content of this page was provided by the Bedford Circuit Court and has been posted on Virginia's Judicial System Web site as a courtesy to the Bedford Circuit Court.
Where To Obtain
Marriage Licenses are issued by the Clerk of the Circuit Court, presently located at the Courthouse, 123 E. Main St., Suite 201, Bedford. Both parties must appear before the Clerk to obtain a license. You may obtain a license at any Circuit Court Clerk's Office in the State of Virginia, as there are no residency requirements. This license is valid for marriages that take place in Virginia.
Must be 18 years of age or older.
If either party is at least 16 years of age and under the age of 18, consent to the marriage must be given in person by the father, mother or guardian having legal custody of the minor. Contact the Clerk's Office for instructions for a marriage of a minor under 16.
- No waiting period from date of issuance to marriage.
- No waiting period from date of divorce to remarriage.
- Marriage must take place within 60 days of issuance of license; otherwise it will expire.
- Person authorized to celebrate rites of marriage must return both copies of marriage license to the Circuit Court Clerk's Office within 5 days.
- $30.00 Cash or local check.
- $2.50 for each certified copy of marriage license plus current return postage amount.
Certified Copy Of Marriage License
Certified copies of marriage licenses may be obtained in person or by mail from the Clerk's Office that issued the license. Please send requests by mail to:
123 E. Main St., Suite 201
Bedford, VA 24523
Marriages are not performed by the Clerk's Office.
The clergy, minister, or other person authorized to perform the marriage must be authorized by a Circuit Court in Virginia in order to perform the marriage.
The Circuit Court has a list of individuals authorized by the Court to perform civil ceremonies.
The marriage license must be returned to the Clerk's Office if not used or if the license expires.
- 8:30 A.M. to 5:00 P.M. Monday - Friday
- Must arrive in time to have paperwork completed by 4:30 P.M.
This page last modified: March 7, 2003