Tazewell Circuit Court: Concealed Weapons Permits
The content of this page was provided by the Tazewell Circuit Court and has been posted on Virginia's Judicial System Web site as a courtesy to the Tazewell Circuit Court.
Steps To Follow In Applying For A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT In Tazewell County
- Secure an application, instructions at the Tazewell County Circuit Court Clerk's Office or online at: http://www.vsp.state.va.us/FormsPublications.shtm
- Complete the application and take the oath before a notary public or the clerk.
- Applicant "MUST" complete an approved HANDGUN SAFETY TRAINING CLASS and attach a copy of the certification to the completed application. Competence may also be demonstrated by compliance with one of the provisions of Virginia Code Section 18.2-308(G). The application will not be complete until this proof of competence is submitted to the court.
- The applicant must submit the application, the proof of qualification, and the $50.00 filing fee to the circuit court clerk's office. Please be advised that disclosure of your social security number (question #3) is optional.
- Within 45 days after all requirements are submitted and the fees are paid, the court will make a ruling on your application.
- If your permit is approved, the circuit court clerk's office will mail your permit to you. The permits are valid for 5 years, and you are required to carry approved photo identification also.
- If your permit is denied, and you wish to appeal this decision, you have 21 days to request an oral hearing before the circuit court.
If after this hearing your permit is again denied, you may then call the Court of Appeals of Virginia for exact instructions for noting further appeal (804-371-8428).
Note: A hearing before the circuit court must be held before appealing the denial to the Court of Appeals of Virginia.
- If the circuit court denial is reversed by the Court of Appeals, the circuit court clerk's office will issue the permit.
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT ALL FEES AND COSTS RELATED TO THE APPLICATION FOR A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMIT ARE NONREFUNDABLE.