Spotsylvania Circuit Court
15th Judicial Circuit of Virginia
Hon. Christalyn M. Jett
Phone: (540) 507-7600
Fax: (540) 582-2169
Clerk's Office Hours
8:00 AM - 4:30 PM
P. O. Box 96
9107 Judicial Center Lane
Spotsylvania, VA 22553-0096
Judge Joseph J. Ellis (Courtroom 2) Phone: 540-507-7624 Fax: 540-507-4056
Judge Ricardo Rigual (Courtroom 1) Phone: 540-507-7623 Fax: 540-582-7973
Combined Chambers Address: PO Box 2627, 9107 Judicial Center Lane, Spotsylvania, VA 22553-2627
Inclement Weather/Emergency Closing Number: 540-507-7498 Enter Mailbox 3960#
- Hon. Joseph J. Ellis, Presiding Judge
- Hon. Ricardo Rigual, Presiding Judge
- Hon. J. Overton Harris, Chief Judge
- Hon. Sarah L. Deneke
- Hon. Herbert M. Hewitt
- Hon. Patricia Kelly
- Hon. Michael E. Levy
- Hon. R. Michael McKenney
- Hon. Charles S. Sharp
- Hon. Gordon F. Willis
- Hon. Victoria A. B. Willis
Terms of Court and General Information
- Court convenes 9:00 a.m.
- Criminal Term/Grand Jury, 3rd Monday of each month at 9:00 a.m.
- Misdemeanor appeals are heard on the 3rd Friday of each month; 4th Friday, if 3rd Friday is a holiday
- Probation violation trials are heard on the 4th Tuesday of each month
- Civil Term, 3rd Monday of Jan., April, July, and Oct. at 9:00 a.m. Appearance is required at Term. Mature cases may be set by praecipe. Praecipe must be filed ten (10) business days prior to Term.
- Notice of criminal motions must be received in the Clerk's office by 3:00 p.m. the day before the hearing.
- Arraignments are set on Tuesdays.
- Depositions/affidavits are routinely accepted in uncontested divorce cases. Ore tenus hearings may be set by praecipe on Civil Term day. (Referral to Alternative Dispute Resolution may be required.)
- Pendente lite motions are heard the 2nd Thursday of each month and are set only through chambers. Pendente lite motions are limited to 30 minutes. Referral to parent education seminars required in all contested custody, visitation or support cases pursuant to Section 20-103.
- Commissioners in chancery are utilized in accordance with Section 8.01-607 and Rule 3:23, in appropriate cases.
- Judicial Settlement Conferences are utilized in civil cases and divorces. Please see the Supreme Court of Virginia's website at: http://www.courts.state.va.us/courts/scv/home.html for all forms and procedures.
- Motion days are the 1st and 3rd Monday of each month for Courtroom #2 and the 2nd and 4th Monday of each month for Courtroom #1 at 9:00 a.m. Original motions should be filed with the Clerk's office seven (7) days in advance of hearing; courtesy copies of notice and motion should be faxed to chambers. Time estimates should be shown on all notices. Motions exceeding 30 minutes must be scheduled through chambers.
- If any term/motion day is a holiday, pursuant to Section 2.2-3300, term/motion day will be held the following day.