Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia
Article VI, Section 5 of the Constitution of Virginia authorizes the Supreme Court of Virginia to make rules governing the course of appeals and the practice and procedures used in the courts of the Commonwealth. Virginia Code § 8.01-3 also addresses the rulemaking authority of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
Rules of the Supreme Court
These are the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia
as currently effective. Amended Rules are posted when they become effective.
Orders of the Supreme Court of Virginia amending
the Rules of the Supreme Court of Virginia.
by Rule, with Amendments Tracked
Unofficial versions of Rules recently amended, showing additions and
deletions. Additions to a Rule are shown in red and underlined; deletions
are noted in blue and struck through.
- Amendments to Rules 3A:14, 5:5, 5:35, and 5A:30 (effective January 1, 2013).
- Amendments to Rules 1:4, 1:17, 3:3, 3:4, 3:22A, 3C:2, 4:5, and 5:21 (effective January 1, 2013).
- Amendments to Rule 3A:17.1 (effective November 1, 2012).
- Amendments to Rule 3B:2 (effective July 1, 2012).
- Rule 5:37. Petition for Rehearing After Consideration by the Full Court (effective June 13, 2012.)
- Amendments to Rules 3A:3, 3B:2, 3C:2, 5:14, and 7C:3 (effective March 1, 2012).
- Amendments to Rule 5:40. Certification Procedures (effective February 24, 2012).
Call for Comment
on Draft Revisions to Rules of Court
The Advisory Committee on Rules of Court, a Committee of the Judicial
Council, is seeking comment through July 30, 2013, regarding the following
draft proposal for amendment to the Rules.
Proposed Amendments to the Rules from the Supreme Court of Virginia
The Supreme Court of Virginia is considering proposed amendments to Rules
1A:1 and 1A:3 related to the admission of foreign attorneys to practice
in the Commonwealth of Virginia without examination and the procedure
for revocation of certificates issued to foreign attorneys. Comments
on the proposed amendments to the Rules should be sent by May 31,
Malpractice Rules of Practice
These Rules are promulgated pursuant to Virginia Code section 8.01-581.11
to govern all formal proceedings with respect to any duly constituted
Medical Malpractice Review Panel.